31 October, 2019

Week 12 OB appointment

At 12 weeks and 2 days, we once again packed up some car toys for my daughter and drove the hour needed to go to my OB appointment. We were excited because this would be the first time we would actually meet the OB I had chosen. We are still hoping to switch over to the midwife in a month or two, but if things did not work out with her, it was important to us that we like the OB.
The wait time was not significant and we were quickly ushered back into an exam room. This was really the first time I felt as though I had graduated. I felt like just a regular pregnant woman who did not spend thousands of dollars, have dozens of injections, and require a flight halfway across the country to successfully become pregnant.
The doctor entered the room and I could tell I was going to like her. She was very sweet and caring with a slight "no nonsense" attitude. I wanted to sit on my front porch and drink a cold glass of lemonade with her on a hot summer day, talking about nothing.
We went over everything. She seemed a little confused about my due date, but I figured that would work itself out very soon. I didn't need to get into a discussion about my transfer. (I learned with my first that some computer programs OB offices use are not very IVF friendly. Many of them require me to guess when my last period would have been had I gotten pregnant naturally.)
We did a quick physical exam, listened to the baby's heartbeat (the best!), and I thought we would be sent on our way. Instead, we were asked a question. "Would you like to do genetic testing?"
My husband and I looked at each other with confused glances. We had never discussed this. In my mind, I did not care about the test. Nothing would change how I feel about this baby. Nothing would cause me to abort the fetus or think about the baby in a different light. As we hemmed and hawed, the OB quickly added, "You would find out the sex early."
My husband's eyes lit up. I knew the answer. It was a definite yes.
After checking to see if our insurance would cover it, we agreed.

We almost did not do the blood work for the genetic testing in the end. We excitedly stepped into the lab for blood work and stopped quickly. There was quite the crowd waiting in the lobby and the wait time promised to be an hour. We stepped back outside. We couldn't wait that long. We had a slightly hungry toddler, not to mention hungry parents. After a quick discussion, I went back into the waiting room alone while my husband drove off with our daughter to run some errands.
Miraculously, the wait time had dropped to ten minutes and there were only a couple people in the room. I still do not know how that happened.

We did the blood test and drove home, excited that in ten days, we would know the sex of the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment