03 February, 2020

OB Appointment 27 Weeks 2 Days

The morning of January 28, I quickly called my OB office to see if they could change the date of my appointment from February 1 to that morning. After the receptionist helped me out, I woke my very sleepy husband to tell him we were going to head out to an appointment in just a couple hours. As we headed north, I wondered if changing our appointment was a slight mistake because I was also scheduled to do the glucose test. I was not ready for it at all! I thankfully only had eggs for breakfast, but the appointment with my midwife was scheduled for 11:30 which meant I would have to go until almost 1:00 until I ate.
The appointment with my midwife could not have been better! We asked her about the hospital and my birth plan. She explained how natural-birth friendly the hospital is. It sounds amazing. The hospital rarely asks if a woman would like an epidural. They are known to send home women whose labor has stalled rather than giving them pitocin. They have three labor tubs. They have a nursery. The midwife helped deliver all her grandbabies in that hospital. (I feel like if you want your grandchildren born in a specific hospital, it must be awesome.)
The midwife agreed with every point in our birth plan as well. We have one point on the birth plan that I will eat or drink during labor if I feel like it. She said the hospital is fine with broth, juices, and ice chips. She mentioned that most women in labor do not want to eat and many of them throw up if they do consume food. (Definitely happened to me. I took a bite of a delicious chocolate croissant at the beginning of a contraction. After throwing up, I thought about that chocolate croissant the entire time I was in the hospital after giving birth and was sad to learn my husband had eaten it while I was gone.)
We were incredibly happy with everything we heard. With the exception of how far away the hospital is, this seems like the ideal situation to be in for us.
Immediately after the appointment, I had the glucose test. I had not prepared in the least for this test. I was just hoping I would chug the drink, have the blood draw, and think nothing more for the rest of the week. Sadly, two days later (happy birthday to me), I received a call from a nurse saying I had failed the test and needed to come back in to do the three hour glucose test.

No comments:

Post a Comment