11 June, 2019

Water Ultrasound

One week ago today, we drove up to the nearest clinic that would do an SIS for me. The drive was over 1.5 hours away. My toddler was in the back of the car, complaining the entire way.
As we arrived at the clinic, we were a little surprised to see it was in a large building with dozens of medical offices. I guess I am used to my small town clinic with its own beautiful building. Being in a large metropolitan area means that space costs much more.
We purposefully arrived half an hour early. After all the difficulty in booking the appointment, we did not want to risk missing the appointment.
As we sat in the waiting room, my toddler played with a few toys we had brought in and the husband and I watched a reality large-scale fish tank builder show. Who knew such shows existed. We were laughing at the drama they created and the blatant ad for Dairy Queen in the middle. The humor they tried to create for the show was terrible.
Previously when I have had to have a catheter inserted for an IUI or another type of ultrasound, my clinic discovered that it was much easier if I had a full bladder. Remembering this, I was prepared and had to pee badly the entire time we sat in the waiting room. After we were called back, they asked that I empty my bladder. I cringed, thinking that it could take a while for the ultrasound to take place if I had to drink more water but complied.
As I sat on the examination table, I stared at the ultrasound display on the television screen and got a little choked up. I was sitting in a room, finally starting on the first steps to get our second child. Next to me was my darling little girl and my husband. I could not stop thinking how blessed I was. I already had a baby. Could I control my emotions better as I went through the process again? Would I be able to emotionally make it through more than one cycle?
My husband asked our daughter to hold my hand as we did the ultrasound. She very solemnly placed her hand in mine as we waited for the catheter to insert the saline. She watched in awe as the wonderful RE took a few pictures of everything that he found. It was, thankfully, uneventful. He said everything looked great and that I should be able to proceed with the FET in a month or two.

We were extremely grateful for him. We chatted a bit prior to the procedure and he agreed with us that it is more than slightly preposterous that very few clinics in the area will help patients that are working primarily with another clinic.

Later that day, I called the clinic and we scheduled the transfer for July 25. We then learned that we may have to push that date back by a week for my husband's school schedule. I will have a definite date by tomorrow. (A very good thing because flights keep getting more expensive!)

No comments:

Post a Comment