16 April, 2020

OB Appointment 38 Weeks, 2 Days

As I planned on this appointment, my husband and I discussed the idea of having the whole family drive up together because he had a pharmacy pickup at Costco. (The nearest Costco to our home is just over an hour away. It is a mere two minutes from my doctor's office. He is more than a little fed up with CVS right now and determined that the savings for the Costco pharmacy would pay off the Costco membership every year.) We thought that they would hang out in the car while I was at the appointment and then my daughter and I would stay in the car while he visited Costco. We would then enjoy a picnic lunch at a nearby park before heading home. We were excited about this idea and I was looking forward to spending the drive with my little family. We ultimately decided against it so that my husband could grab a few more groceries from Costco without worrying about the timing with a three-year-old in the car.
I made the drive up North by myself and donned the beautiful homemade mask a dear friend had made for me. I was once again ushered back within moments of opening the side door of the OB office. The staff is incredible with dealing with all the changes. They know all the usual patients and simply asked for my birthday instead of name, phone, address.
As I chatted with the nurse before my midwife came in, I learned that she works in Labor and Delivery every other week at the hospital. I really like this nurse so it made me hope that my labor aligns with one of her shifts.
She informed me that when I get to the hospital, I will most likely have to check in at the ER to be tested before going to labor and delivery. In my non medical mind, this makes no sense. I made a mental note to have my husband call the hospital as we are on our way up so that we can learn what the regulations are for that specific day. She also was lucky enough to relay to me the information that I get to labor in a medical mask. "Bring the mask that you are wearing and we will make sure your husband wears one." I was told that I only had to wear it when there was a doctor or nurse in the room with us. She mentioned that none of the women had been bothered by it yet. I remembered how hot and uncomfortable I was as I labored with my daughter. This is something I am not looking forward to.
I am starting to feel so frustrated with being pregnant during this pandemic that I wondered (silently) in a very sarcastic tone if the baby would have to have a mask fastened to her face as soon as she emerged.
My midwife emerged and did her quick measurements of the heartbeat and fundal height. She mentioned something that took me aback and made me wonder if she wasn't actually going to be the one to deliver the baby. I was a little shocked so I did not think to ask questions.
I left the building feeling slightly frustrated at the new information I had gathered.

Since that appointment, I have started to notice a few signs of pre-labor including much more noticeable contractions, but I still do not expect her to make her appearance for at least a week. We cannot wait for this baby to make her appearance and then get out of the hospital as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment