26 April, 2020

OB Appointment 39 Weeks, 2 Days (And Reaching 40 Weeks)

My OB appointment at 39 weeks was uneventful. I sat in my hot car for 5-10 minutes prior to entering the office. Because of that, my temperature was up by a couple of degrees. I was told I barely made the cutoff. Joking with a friend later, she suggested they do drive thru OB appointments. You drive up, lean your seat back, and the doctor can quickly come by to do measurements and check for the heartbeat.
Today I was told that I would have a cervix check. It was not something I was interested in (because honestly, a cervix check means nothing), but I got ready for that. Baby's heartbeat sounded great and my cervix is apparently nice and soft right now. In my midwife's words, "I don't think you will make it to your next appointment."

And yet, here I am. It is my due date today and my next appointment is in two days. I never made it to my due date with my daughter. She was born two days early. One of my darling aunts arrived at our house this past Wednesday to help out when the baby comes. I knew, after inviting her in January, that there would be a chance that the baby would come early or late and my aunt would not be here. I feel slightly anxious to get the show on the road because I would love to take full advantage of having her here. My older daughter is adjusting to having her here (even though she still hisses like a snake at my aunt).
The baby still squirms like crazy every day. I honestly feel great. I need to visit the bathroom more frequently like all pregnant women. My only painful side effect is that my fingers are so bloated that the joints pop every time I bend my fingers-especially on the left side. As long as Baby is healthy and I am healthy, I have no qualms about being pregnant for as long as the baby needs. I do not plan on setting an induction date. If we reach 42 weeks, I will have a discussion with my midwife, but I do not know what will come of that conversation. That is not to say that I do not want to meet this little girl and cuddle with her and hibernate in bed for a week or two until we find some semblance of a routine.
So far I have had very few pre-labor signs. I have had very few real contractions, but have had Braxton Hicks since around week 10. My husband and I joke about making grand plans so that the baby can come and ruin them. The only problem is that with COVID going around, we cannot make any plans except what we plan on cooking. But I do not mind that we have been planning very delicious meals. Will I get to enjoy the delicious Thai curry with strawberry lassies and flourless chocolate cake with hazelnut ice cream for dessert? Probably. But if I end up in the hospital, that would be good too.

I would just ask someone to save me a slice of that cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment